The Crucible embarks on a rigorous process to determine which artists and fashion designers will appear in Hot Couture. While some are already professional designers, others are new to the field and straight out of art school. Quite often, Crucible instructors and students get involved. Based on the theme of each annual production, designers submit up to four concepts and sketches. Roughly a dozen teams are selected, based on the most innovative proposals that can also be achieved on a limited budget. Hot Couture 2017 will feature a truly amazing lineup:
- Briana Schweizer and Meggie Pina
- Candia Designs
- Lisa Jones & Ron Tomassini
- Lizzie Uscanga
- Medium Reality with electroBaroque and The Oakland Mind
- Mercy Daae with Erin Shredder, Byrd Pappas, Patrick Lawrence, Reiko Yoshino, and Vanessa B Lee
- miss velvet cream with Dao Pow Industries
- One Human Family (Devlin Shand, Erika Pappas, and Clay Richardson)
- Sherman Chastity Couture (Ira D Sherman Design, llc)
Hot Couture 2017: The Beautiful Ones will pull out all the stops, beginning with a performance by national recording artist Netta Brielle. Turntable queen Pam the Funkstress (aka Pam Warren), a beloved local DJ who recently toured with Prince, will provide ambiance music and intermission sets. Bay Area radio personality Sterling James will also be on the runway, returning to host the four-night event.
Prices range from $55 (general admission, standing) to $115 (VIP seating with complimentary bar and hors d’oeuvres). Please call 510.444.0919 with any questions.
Crucible members receive a 10% discount on Hot Couture tickets. To become a member and get your discount code, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note, Hot Couture contains nudity and adult content and is intended for mature audiences.
Hot Couture 2017 is sponsored by East Bay Express, KQED, Visit Oakland, Hangar 1, and Lagunitas.